Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
To make sure that students are trained not only as scientists producing knowledge but also as practitioners putting this information into practice in the field of Psychology.
To offer an education in order to train psychologists who have a foundation acquired through theoretical information and applications in Psychology and its subfields, who are able to follow the studies in the field and to make a contribution to them, who are able to evaluate individual and social issues with a broad perspective and objectively, and to generate original solutions for these issues, and who live up to professional ethics.
To create an understanding which integrates scientific method and principles with some values such as ethical principles, human rights, objectivity, social and cultural sensitivity.
To protect and enhance the respectable position of the Department among its peers within the country and abroad by means of training, research and applications in psychology.
The objective of the undergraduate program in psychology is to train graduates who know comprehensively about basic principles, theories, scientific methods and techniques about psychology and its subfields, are capable of scientific and critical thinking, protect professional and ethical principles, and have a capacity of creating solutions for individual and social problems with an interdisciplinary point of view. Therefore, they will not only have a chance to take effective roles in setting up the future but also will be able to catch the opportunity to find satisfactory jobs in universities, education and research centers, health, law and security both in private and state sectors.
Our target is to educate psychologists who avail themselves to commit to professional ethics and principles and values such as:
• Having a strong background based on theoretical knowledge and applications in psychology and various sub-fields,
• Having the capacity of thinking like a scientist,
• Being able to research and produce knowledge through the scientific method,
• Being able to put this knowledge into practice by using his/her professional skills,
• Being able to establish relations between theory, observation and results and to question them scientifically,
• Using the empirical findings and evidence as grounding,
• Being aware of social realities and being sensitive to the problems of the society,
• By using his/her professional knowledge and skills, being able to produce solutions to personal and social problems,
• Caring about inter-disciplinary activities,
• Approaching the events with a rich perspective, objectively and critically,
• Being able to communicate effectively,
· Respecting the social, cultural and individual differences,
· Having heightened self-awareness and being open to self-development,
· Acquiring the life -long learning, following and contributing to the developments in the field,
· Protecting human rights,
· Having the awareness of professional limits, qualifications and responsibilities.
Assoc. Prof. Ferzan CURUN
Head of the Department of Psychology Department